Wednesday, January 21, 2009

simplicity


One of my life goals is simplicity.

And George Herbert did it again in my QT: this poem just stood out (the last quatrain of "The Wreath.")

Give me simplicity, that I may live,
So live and like, that I may know Thy ways,
Know them and practise them: then shall I give
For this poor wreath, give Thee a crown of praise.


He just gets right to the heart of life. The poem starts off declaring that he wants to offer a wreath of praise to the Lord, and as he ponders the crooked windings of his life, he realizes that the detours are more like death and life should be a straight bee-line to the Lord. Simple, direct, no deceit. And he finishes with knowing and practising "Thy ways"--and the wreath becomes a crown.

Makes me realize how much more I have to learn about this complicated process of living. Simplicity still seems the avenue of choice.

No comments: